CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

About Me

My photo
Hello. I'm currently a high school student living in southern California. I'm not one to talk much about myself. I'll leave it to you to figure me out. Don't ask me though, I'm afraid even I don't know myself all that well yet.

Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, January 25, 2009

    Reading Journal Again

    What I read out of this whole weekend, was what we were assigned. It counts though, right? So what I read was The Peek-a-Boo World, from Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman. I was too lazy to write out the whole title. So in this chapter, Postman talks about the history of media, from the invention of the telegraph to the TV, how it make everything all random and such. One quote for this theory would be, "The abundant flow of information had very little or nothing to do with those to whom it was addressed; that is, with any social or intellectual context in which their lives are embedded." This is how it is now, actually. The conflict in Gaza, has little to do with us. (If I offended anyone, I didn't mean it.) But sometimes it does. Like President Obama and the bailout plan. One thing i like about this author is his writing style. He asks, "You may get a sense of what this means by asking yourself another series of questions...I shall take the liberty of answering for you: You plan to do nothing about them." The author is witty, and when you feel like you're drifting off to sleep, he unexpectedly says something witty. He mentions how photographs gives us even more random facts about life and that gave birth to crosswords, radio quiz shows, and TV game shows. He calls the "electric conversation" a "peek-a-boo world" where we don't have to do anything, and yet we're entertained. Radio, film, TV, the works. One of my favorite quotes from this text was, "As some psychiatrist said once put it, we all build castles in the air. The problems come when we try to live in them." Which reminds me of this one Studio Ghibli movie, Laputa: Catsle in Sky, no durr. I wonder if the author had any castles in the sky when he was younger. Was part of the castle to make this book? I don't recommend it only because it drones on, but for how long I don't know. In fact, I may be wrong about it. But, I thought this chapter was okay.

    0 people say...: