CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

About Me

My photo
Hello. I'm currently a high school student living in southern California. I'm not one to talk much about myself. I'll leave it to you to figure me out. Don't ask me though, I'm afraid even I don't know myself all that well yet.

Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 8, 2009

    Reading Journal: Goblet of Fire

    "A wizard had just Apparated at their fireside, and he could not have made more of a contrast with Ludo Bagman, sprawled on the grass in his old Wasp robes. Barty Crouch was a stiff, upright, elderly man, dressed in an impeccably crisp suit and tie. The parting in his short gray hair was almost unnaturally straight, and his narrow toothbrush mustache looked as though he trimmed it using a slide rule. His shoes were very highly polished. Harry could see at once why Percy idolized him. Percy was a great believer in rigidly following rules, and Mr. Crouch had complied with the rule about Muggle dressing so throughly that he could have passed for a bank manager; Harry doubted even Uncle Vernon would have spotted him for what he really was."

    Well, I guess this is a good example of "Don't judge a book by it's cover" shtick. I could totally imagine someone appearing in front of 10 people in robes, sticking out with his fancy "normalness". And then of course, the movie adaptation of this book is currently airing on TV as I type this, and I watched the flashback Harry saw that had Crouch in it. He looked odd. In a way, it's hard to explain. But then again, movies are never as good as the books.

    I wonder who J.K. Rowling based this character off of, if any at all? It'd be a bit hard for me, because I rarely interact with old men in suits and ties, pretending to be ordinary, when they're really one of those people who are say, more gifted than us "normal" humans. But then again, I'm not that "normal". Take the fact that I would rather spend my lunch hour out in the rain, enjoying the cold, wetness of Mother Nature, rather than being cooped up in a small, warm room, with loud people. So anyways, does this particular person influence Rowling in anyway? I guess, I'll never know...

    0 people say...: