CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

About Me

My photo
Hello. I'm currently a high school student living in southern California. I'm not one to talk much about myself. I'll leave it to you to figure me out. Don't ask me though, I'm afraid even I don't know myself all that well yet.

Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, August 30, 2008

    Breaking Through Ch. 1-6

    So today's post will be homework. Woo. But hey, I'm enjoying this book, so count it as a recommendation.

    Breaking Through by Fransico Jimenez is a memoir about a young boy who is at first an illegal immigrant. At first you may think, oh illegal immigrant, did he steal jobs or something? or something of the sort. But I felt connected to Panchito (the boy) in some way. When I read about him, I actually have pity for him when he has to work, or get angry at his dad for acting like there's a bee in his pants.
    So at first, Panchito crosses into the US with his family, and lives his life for a few years. Until he gets caught by la migra, or the border patrol. What gets me wondering though, is when the officer said that we was turned in by "someone of his own." I started wondering during that part. Could it have been Mr. Ito, the cropholder? Or maybe one of their neighbors? But I had no time to play detective, because I wanted to read more.
    So then the family goes back to Nogales, where they spend a couple nights. The family gets a check up in the US then decide to go to a relative's place. Mom and Dad talk about it and decide to let Panchito and his older brother, Roberto, return to the US to continue school. I couldn't imagine just abandoning my family like that, and taking my younger brother with me. I started thinking about everything else. Taxes, chores, and I have to send some of my money from my job to help out my parents. I admire the two because they are really sacrificial, and I don't think that I would've been willing to do that. But I felt good about Panchito, he got to go back to school and see his friends again. I was also amused at the parts where he started learning about rock n' roll. And the dances and class presentation of Elvis was cool.
    Then the rest of the family came, eventually and it was a happy reunion. I could feel the warm and fuzziness coming from the scene. Dad apparently, was "hexed" which was to blame for his bad back. But like Panchito, I was a bit skeptical about the whole process: a tent full of incence, flowers, and holy cards; drinking tea that makes you drowsy; and stripping to your waist, getting a massage faced-down, being chanted on, and then puking up blood... I don't know, it all seems weird from my perspective. But it was good to hear that Dad was all better again.
    Now, though, Panchito, Trampita (another brother), and Roberto all have to work in a strawberry field now, that Dad now looks after. I feel a bit sorry for Panchito and his brothers during this part because they all have to do manual labor, and it's really tiring for them and affecting Panchito in his studies. But, it can't be helped; they need the money. They start by pulling weeds, then hoeing the seeds in. But the seeds won't grow so they fumigate during the night. Turns out they killed the plants, and Dad's devastated. Now I feel sorry for him.
    Later, Roberto and Panchito ask to go to the Vet's High School Dance, but Panchito gets yelled at for being "disrespectful" by asking if they could go while the Dad was thinking. At that part I was like, WTF? I mean, just because, your little strawberries won't grow, doesn't mean you have to take out by lashing at your kids and restricting them, when they've never done anything wrong!
    Then Panchito "graduates" from Junior High, and I feel good about this. It was sad though that his parents couldn't come, but I could see that it meant a lot for Panchito to have his dad give him a special medallion and put some aftershave on him. And then I can't read chapter 7.

    All in all, I've really enjoyed this book and I feel like I can connect to the characters. I look forward to reading the next parts.

    0 people say...: